Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why I am suing Stevie Wonder

Up until last night I was a huge fan of Stevie Wonder. His talent both with instruments as well as with his own vocals are immense. One of my all time favorite songs, "As" is certainly in the top 10 of my personal lists, as well as one of the most played tracks on my iPod.

The problem I am having however is last night, perhaps for the first time, I stopped and actually listened to the lyrics of a song I was listening to. The song, "I Wish" was the straw that broke the camels back, and is the basis of a lawsuit I am filing today against Stevie Wonder. The opening lines of the song start as follows:

"Looking back on when I
Was a little nappy headed boy
Then my only worry
Was for Christmas what would be my toy
Even though we sometimes
Would not get a thing
We were happy with the
Joy the day would bring"


This is just the first verse, it gets worse...

"Sneaking out the back door
To hang out with those hoodlum friends of mine
Greeted at the back door
With boy thought I told you not to go outside
Tryin' your best to bring the
Water to your eyes
Thinkin' it might stop her
From woopin' your behind"


How much more offensive can this song get with phrases like "little nappy headed boy" and "what would be my toy" and the reference to "hoodlum friends of mine."

This is the crap they play on the radio, and I ashamed of the fact that I can mindlessly recite these lyrics.

It gets even worse...

"I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ev-er have to go
I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ev-er have to go
Cause I love them so

Brother says he's tellin'
'Bout you playin' doctor with that girl
Just don't tell I'll give you
Anything you want in this whole wide world
Mama gives you money for Sunday school
You trade yours for candy after church is through"


WOW!!!

Playing doctor with that girl, stealing money intended for Sunday School to trade for candy.

What the heck is wrong with people?

"Smokin' cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall (you nasty boy)
Teacher sends you to the principal's office down the hall
You grow up and learn that kinda thing ain't right
But while you were doing it-it sure felt outta sight

I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ev-er have to go
I wish those days could come back once more
Why did those days ev-er have to go"


It doesn't take a genius to tear this exchange apart, let's see, "smokin' cigaretts and writing something nasty of the wall" and then wishing those days would come back once more.

I am offended, and my lawyer is confident we can bring down this Stevie Wonder, and get a nice healthy financial payday out of the whole ordeal.

For me, "I Wish" for filth like this to be taken off our airwaves and out of our iPod's.

For now, I am off to take a stroll around the neighborhood, I just loaded Dr. Dre's "Chronic 2001" on my iPod, now that is a great album.

For now, take care...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, good luck trying to get any money from this lawsuit. You wont make it far with this case. Especially since we live in a country that has something protected called freedom of speech. If your lawyer knew anything about law he would laugh in your face tell you that you wont get anywhere with this case and that if you wanted to pursue it to find someone else because he wouldnt waste his credibility on such an open ended losing case.