Thursday, February 21, 2008

2 Computers - 2 Weeks

I have been busy the past couple of weeks. With Chinese New Year all but shutting down my inbound shipments, I have had a lot of free time to do other things. So I woke up last week and decided to sell my laptop on eBay. After the 7 day period I got a bidder and got it sold. I went out that night and bought the new MacBook Air. I have to tell you that this computer is like a feather compared to the 17" MacBook Pro I had just sold.

I tried out the remote migration tool, it told me it would take 18+ hours to transfer the 45GB of info from my desktop to my laptop so I stopped that transfer. The bad thing about the process is that it ties up both computers as well not allowing you to do anything else in the process.

So I used my older hard drive based 20GB iPod. Three trips between computers and about an hours of time, and all the info was transferred via USB from the desktop to the laptop.

And then I got inspired. For you see I sold my MacBook Pro for $1400, but spent $2200 between the MacBook Air, Apple Care, and the 9.25% the state takes out of my pocket, so I dug up a Intel based Mac Mini I had sitting in the closet and listed that on eBay hoping for around $500.

The auction ended tonight at $637.50. Not bad for a computer I got for free. I am now only $165 short of what was spent on the new laptop.

I will say this, this computer is slick. I do see some limitations with it seeing as it does not have a drive installed, but is is fast and powerful, and for what I use the laptop for, I think just about perfect.

I got inspired about selling the 2 computers on eBay, I went and reopened my eBay store with Geta agreeing to do the listing and managing of the store to try to sell the electronic component items I have in inventory for the company.

All in all a great week.

My sister WB posted about the trains, and included the link. This Saturday promises to be a big event at the train set as we are expecting the largest showing yet of participants. To show you how excited I am, I bought 4 powered engines to run on the layout. It should be a great time for all.

I will have to post here about the pipe we had break in a house we built, but that will have to wait until the next post.

For now, take care...

No comments: